Friday, May 23, 2008

Day the First

The author would like to state before really getting into the material that she is a very tired puppy.

I'm not quite sure where to start on describing this place. It definitely "feels" like the south from what I remember of my trips through the Carolina's and Virginia. The air hangs heavier, the bird songs are different, the trees are big and very green and lush, the oaks are thick and twisted. I'm loving all the hills here; most of the pastures on the farm are built on some kind of slope. The horses have to be careful when they lie down to roll; otherwise, they might turn a few more times than they want!

The particular stable I'm residing at is quite lovely. This house partially very old, from the 1840's, I believe. That's pre-Civil War! (Or the War of Northern Aggression, as it's understood in some parts here). There are a lot of turning hallways because the original house was added onto bit by piece to reach another structure, so one pretty much has to walk east to go north through the house. I have the front room that looks right onto the porch, and after a few years in the dorm, it feels like an enormous room. The windows are narrow, but quite tall, and the place has a very plantation feel to it.

Okay, on to the important part... the HORSES! These critters are going to be a dream to handle compared to some of the beasts-on-wheels that I've encountered. The worst here is a tall and handsome 3 y/0 chestnut (not to be confused with the OTHER tall hand chestnut) who likes to dance a little on his way to the paddock because he knows he's going to play. The barns are simple and a little worn around the edges, but the couple who run the place keep it very neat and organized, so it's pretty and charming since you can tell there's some history to it. There are 12 horses total here, and I discovered that one of them (much to my delight) is a tall, very dark and very handsome Friesian gelding named David. For those of you who aren't so familiar with me, Friesians are my absolute favorite, and I take any chance to just get a glimpse of them even. His owner, one of the two boarders, is a very nice lady, so I may get a chance to ride him sometime...

Speaking of riding, my boss's husband didn't waste any time getting me busy besides just managing the barn. When I arrived, he looked me up and down and asked if I'd been riding much lately. I replied that I had been riding a bit, and the rest of the conversation went something like this:

Him: "Well, we have a couple ponies that need schooled and ridden in a little schooling show here soon. Think you could get ready to do at least one of them? The mare can be a bit tricky..."
Me: "Sure. I love ponies. Give me a week and we'll be as good as gold."
Him: "Well, you don't have a week."
Me: "How long do I have?"
Him: "The show is Saturday." (This is stated to me Thursday evening)
Me: "Well, okay."
Him: "And the mare needs to jump."
(At this point, I'm internally wigging out. After a bad fall over a jump last year, I've been terrified to jump anything over tiny crossrails)
Me: "Jump how high?"
Him: "About 2'."
Me: *mentally yelling DEATHDEATHDEATH* "Sure, I'm game."

I'll be getting on the mare in the next few hours. We're not anticipating problems; she's a cute little rockstar, but needs a slight attitude adjustment over jumps. My boss understands where I'm coming from on the jumping thing, so we'll work on this afternoon, and off I go tomorrow if it progresses decently. "Okay Jenn, you have an afternoon ride to get over the lack of confidence that's been haunting you for a year!" Ooooookay.

I knew this would possibly happen (me jumping, just not this soon!) so I promised myself that this summer would not be one of fear for me. At least... external fear. I have to get over this, so I told myself that I would do it, no ifs, ands or buts. I don't doubt that part of my brain might call me some unsavory words for this mentality, but I believe it'll be good for me.

So far, I really enjoy being here. It'll take me a few days to settle into the routine and peculiarities of the place and the horses. My day began at 7 this morning with breakfast, then feeding horses, cleaning stalls, turning out the horses, then I began the oh-so-fun-but-doesn't-need-to-be-done-all-the-time task of cleaning the algae out of all the paddock water troughs. One horse showed his playful colors by trying to shove me into one as I bent over to scrub the bottom of it. Eight water troughs later, it was noon, and I got invited down to the (completely GORGEOUS and comfy) covered ring to watch my boss school a horse. Then they insisted I go eat, so I obliged them and now I'm relaxing a little until my ride time with April. Then I imagine we'll bring in the horses, feed and water them, and wrap up the day. I'm sitting here and keep glancing out the window to make sure it hasn't started raining; there are at least 2 horses that would have to come in if it rains because of their soft feet issues.

I'll try to have pictures later; the trees and pastures here are unbelievable.

No comments: