Monday, June 16, 2008

Deja Vu

The barn has become more "mine" the past week as a routine has developed. Several horses decided to either get sick, hurt or lame recently, and now the feeding routine has what feels like a thousand new medications. Taking a day off is almost more work than not, with having to explain all the meds.

"Rosie gets these two eye ointments four times a day, starting with the morning feeding, then at lunch, then midafternoon, then the evening feeding. Tyrone's Robaxin got upped to 20 tablets twice a day, but you have to mix it like this to make sure the syringe plunger can get it all out. Then, Aries is still on bute, but down to one gram. Sadie gets the bute too, but three grams (I stick it in her mouth when she goes for her food). After all that, Aries needs to be handwalked for twenty minutes, but only in the indoor ring..."

Yeah. After handling those developments over the course of a day, I feel a whole lot more confident handling a barn and the fluctuating habits of the four-hooved individuals within. But, I can't get that confused with arrogance.

After I'd been here a few days, had the barn to myself and was riding horses for my boss, I found myself chatting with one of the trainers, who was keeping a watchful eye on a small student of hers as she tacked up a pony for her lesson. I knew I needed to ride Tyrone, so I asked the trainer if it'd be a problem if I rode during her lesson. She asked who I was riding and I smiled and replied, "Mr. T here."

Behind the trainer, the girl whirled her head around to stare at me, her eyes big. I smiled back at her, wondering what that had been about. Then I had a little bit of a flashback, or deja vu, if you will, that settled in when I was first riding and in awe of those who got to ride the good horses... the fancy jumpers, the owners horses, etc. I'd been there, and now I stood (and rode) where I'd seen those other girls. And now, that little student was where I had been.

Now for the not becoming arrogant part... I knew that Tyrone and my boss were a great combination. I also knew that they had done some serious showing and won a lot. But I had not known... that she and Tyrone were National Hunter Champions a few years ago. It was mentioned to me casually, and my heart kinda hit my stomach, but in a good way. I've been riding a National Hunter Champion horse for the past three weeks, and they're not rides I've had to beg.

"Tyrone needs to be exercised, and you have really good soft hands, so how about flatting him twice a week or so?"

While this new info doesn't change my role around here, it's certainly a compliment that humbles and makes me thank God twice more whenever I get on Tyrone.

On a lighter note, we harassed Reggie in his paddock with the remote control car. Next time, I promise we will have the video camera.

No comments: